Monday, January 3, 2011

Cloth G-tube pad

So yeah, I know this isn't a toy. But kiddos with tubes love pretty pads instead of ugly, white gauze ones. Surprise your tubie kid with a stack of these!

1. Trace circles onto flannel or any other absorbent fabric. I prefer flannel because it doesn't stretch much when you sew and it's nice and soft. I use 3 layers in my pads and I use the same cup every time so they are all uniform.


2. Pin the layers together and draw a small circle in the center and a line straight down. I use regular kid's washable markers and it washes out in the first wash.


3. Cut up the line and around the tiny circle.


4. Round off the edges. I think this makes the finished product look nicer.


5. Zig-zag around the edge of the pad. Go slowly and reposition the foot as needed. Because it's so small you really have to stop and start a lot unless you are just a genius with a machine (I am not). After zig-zagging, do a straight stitch around the whole thing for added stability.


6. It should look something like this. Trim any stray fabric away from the edge.


7. Add a snap. If you don't have a press or snap pliers, the metal hammer on snaps work fine. They are a bit of a pain, and take a little practice, but they are cheap.


The hand-sewn version: Do everything through step 4 and then just stitch by hand instead of using a machine. It takes longer, but it actually looks nicer and neater, especially around the small inner hole. I used 2 layers of thread, but only 1 is really needed. Wrap the thread around the edge and then straight stitch all the way around. One pad took me an hour vs 10-15 minutes on a machine, so it's not all that time consuming. Stitch one up while you watch your sitcoms in the evening!

17 comments:

  1. Thank You!!! I was looking for instructions to make my own G Tube pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried to make this and it worked great but when i washed them they bunched up really bad, is there anyway i can prevent the bunching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prewashing all the fabrics should prevent the bunching.

      Delete
    2. Prewashing all the fabrics should prevent the bunching.

      Delete
    3. Prewashing your fabric is the best thing you can do to prevent bunching! :)

      Delete
    4. hand wash the pads and lay them flat to dry on a towel,,,they did not bunch up...Ironed them after and they were fine

      Delete
  3. Brilliant fab tute and thanks so much because I wanted to make some but didn't know where to start other than looking at the pictures! I made some this aft though after step 3 I sewed the line and inner circle with right sides together then turned it right side out and overlocked edges, just as another technique then there's no stitches next to the tube.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bella-boutique that is a great idea for no stiching around the tube! I might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to have found this. I have been examining different ones and trying to take the best aspects from them to make some for my daughter. I bought a few when someone had them for 50% off, but can't believe how much folks are charging for them. I sew and quilt and all my scraps can be repurposed for this. I also picked up some flannel and fleece from the remnants bins at Joanns dirt cheap. To keep from bunching when washed I am thinking that a squiggle of stitching over the entire thing would keep it all in place, just like in quilting.

    Thank you so much for sharing, you are the first person I have found in my searches that has shared without trying to get people to buy and I greatly appreciate that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried making any of the belly bands that some folks sell to protect the mic-key button or the mini-one? I am also trying to create a design for one of those for my daughter. I'm thinking I will have to make double since her twin wants to have everything her sister does and vis-a-versa :) Won't that be a hoot if they both have bands around their bellys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I am the founder of Feeding Tube Awareness Foundation (www.feedingtubeawareness.org). We link to useful resources and products. I was wondering if it would be OK to link to this tutorial. It is great! Thank you, Traci (supertubiemomma@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi what kins of fabric do you use in the middle? Im new to this sewing thing I went out and bought some flannel fabric but when I saw some ther sies they use fleece, in the three layers what kind do you use please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have used diaper fabrics and towelling in the middle of some of the ones I made for my GRAND G-tuber! And for the Childrens hospital to give to new g-tubers. I call my GRAND, froggy since be loves to flap wis arms and legs around, and his voice is kind of low so I made some with frogs on the flannel (fussy cutting is hard with the hole in the middle!) I also made some with tacos, stars, popsicles....I now hunt for food related prints in the flannel! It's kind of addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a peg an i personally like the softer fabrics an the wrap around threading, the less fabric near my peg site the less itchy it is, but thats just me. Im 32 so i can only imagen what kids go through not really being able to be as virble as i am as an adult, an STEPHANIE: the belts are tricky bc it depends on what kinda peg or g tube you have , i bought a standard belt an i cant wear it bc it presses my peg into my belly to much so i made my own out of bandanas an dont have my actual peg covered just the extra tubing an its folded under my peg site an that seems to work better then anything ive bought so keep that in mind when making one for someone else. Good luck tho! best wises

    ReplyDelete
  12. does any one have a pattern for the "tummy time pillow" for a baby that has the G-Tube

    ReplyDelete